Artistic expression is under pressure from multiple sources – be it from the state, media and social media, special interest groups.
We have extensive experience of analysing, understanding and tackling the attack on artists and arts institutions.
Our skills cross a variety of disciplines, and we are very happy to work individually and with other members of our team, to provide support, information, and training.
We take a creative, dynamic and personal approach to keep the space for expression open to multiple and diverse voices.
Please see below for some of the services we offer:
- consult for art organisations (theatres, galleries, museums, etc.) on handling controversy
- consult on resources available to artists or art institutions facing threats
- advise on or direct to sources of support for artists, curators, and art at risk
CREATE AND/OR DELIVER TRAINING ON
- protection of artistic freedom for cultural centers, national institutions, human rights organizations etc
- understanding and countering censorship and self-censorship
- understanding international legal instruments (UN, UNESCO etc)
- understanding the role of legal and policy frameworks for artistic freedom
- Preparing for and handling controversy
CONNECTING AND MAPPING
- connect through our international network with peers across borders for advice and local knowledge
- support existing and emerging national, regional & international monitoring bodies on artistic freedom
RESEARCH, EVALUATION AND REPORTING
- research and write reports/studies/features on specific cases, trends, social, legal, political pressures on artistic freedom
- evaluate programmes dedicated to artists’ protection (hosting and others)
WORKING WITH LEGAL FRAMEWORKS
- understand/navigate international legal instruments (UN, UNESCO etc)
- define strategies and orientation to work with the UN, EU & other regional and international mechanisms (OSCE, OAS, African Union etc)
- draft country reports / individual cases on artistic freedom within rights framework
- working with domestic legislation that impacts on artistic freedom
PUBLIC SPEAKING AND EVENTS
- available to speak at and chair convenings, and help to identify speakers on issues of artistic freedom and related topics
- assist in organising national, regional or international events, workshops and symposia related to artistic freedom.